Firewall Flexing, Incomplete Clutch Release
1987-1988 Ford F-Series
This series of vehicles have several possible reasons for incomplete clutch release.
- Worn clutch pedal cross shaft bushings.
- Hydraulic system is not fully bled; air bubbles are preventing complete clutch release.
- Excessive floor mat thickness prevents full clutch pedal travel.
- Firewall cracks and firewall flexing. This prevents full clutch release.
- It may be helpful to install Ford adjustable master cylinder pushrod E3TZ-7461B.
- As a regular maintenace item, Ford recommends lightly greasing the clutch release bearing guide tube at each oil change. This can be accomplished by removing the slave cylinder and applying a small amount of grease on the guide tube with a long straight bladed screwdriver.
PLEASE REFER TO FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS FOR DETAILED APPLICATON SPECIFIC PROCEDURES.
This bulletin is to assist in the safe and effective servicing of this application. Transmissions, transaxles and transfer cases are heavy and their safe removal and replacement requires the use of proper tools, equipment and procedures to prevent injury and damage. Always read and follow instruction bulletins and factory service manuals for detailed clutch servicing procedures.
Bulletins and any additional information: